Saturday, August 20, 2005

Lunch time

I did not manage to send in my visa application yesterday!!!!

I went to me mate’s legal firm at the Taipan triangle near my house early in the morning to get him to certify some photocopies of documents as true copies. He din bring his name stamp!!!! So I left it there for him to get his colleague to certify the docs when he gets in.

Went home. Waited. No news. Called him up to find out that his colleague is still not in yet! I was losing patience. The British Hi-Com will not accept any applications after 3 pm.

It was 12 sumthing oredi. So I went back to Taipan – there were many other legal firms around. I located the Commisioner for Oaths – found out that he is the only one in Taipan triangle. Found out oso that he just went out for lunch. Called his mobile but he din pick up! Bugger…

Decided to get a lawyer – any lawyer – to certify me documents. Went to 5 legal firms – all closed!!!! No one bothered to answer the door/bell!!! Well, I know it’s lunch time but still!!!!

Now I know why the law firms in Taipan are not doing as well as where I used to be a partner. In that firm, there’ll ALWAYS be sumone answering the phone and the door during lunch time!

Finally found a lawyer at this firm called Messrs Tan and DH Chan!!! Over the glass door (no one dared to let me in! C’mon!!!! It was lunch time but I was decent enuf in a t-shirt, cargo pants and Velcro boots), she interrogated me as to why I want to see a lawyer, why I want the documents to be certified, wat documents etc. Finally, she said that it’ll cost me RM50 to get one document certified by her!!!! She said a Commisioner for Oaths will only charge RM4 (that is correct) but if she does it, she’ll charge me RM50 per document!!!!

For a moment, I was lost for words!!!! I wanted to scream at her and inform her that I was an advocate and solicitor of the Malaysian High Court for 7 years – and never have I once charged such a ridiculous amount just to certify a document!!!!!

But I din. I smiled, thanked her for her time and walked away in disbelief!!!

RM50 per document!!!! I asked me lawyer mate later, “Are our signatures that expensive???

In the end, I gave up trying to meet the 3 pm date line. The bright side to the whole thing is that I discovered later that there were some fatal mistakes in a document I wanted to certify – so if it had been certified earlier, I would have submitted a bad document along wif me visa application!!!!

And oh, I saw this little toddler wearing those annoying squeaky slippers – she looked so cute that I had to smile. When she saw me smiling, she walked towards me, squeaking all the way, and reciprocated me smile and waved at me!

Yeah, that made my day! :-)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?