Monday, August 15, 2005

Wild boar and curry Patin*

* Patin, or silver catfish, is a freshwater fish. The most popular variety that is a favourite in Chinese restaurants is the patin buah. It is a pretty oily fish and has a fine texture. The patin has no scales on its body. In restaurants, patin can be steamed with soy sauce or prepared lemak or assam curry style. Because it loves to graze on muddy bottoms, the patin has that muddy flavour. (obtained from Kuali.com)

Finally, the wait was over! The English Premier League resumed last weekend!!!

The irony about the whole thing was that I DID NOT WATCH A SINGLE MATCH!!!!!! Instead, when the first match was being played, I was busy stuffing my face wif stir fried wild boar meat and curry patin!!! :-P

Me mate goes into the Orang Asli village once a month for mission – they would do visitations and conduct meetings and teaching.

He asked me to follow him as I’ve had experience and he would want my help. How could I say no?

It was tiring, tho. The nite before, I went out wif some others mates and we sat at A&W and chat til pass 2 am!!! Then when I got home, I had to type out the training materials for a training that I was conducting on Sunday evening!

And (as I blogged in an earlier post) as I was rushing to leave, I broke a bottle of expensive cologne!!!

But the trip was pretty good. Had a good time wif me mate. We stayed up late sharing and chatting. We also had some wonderful time chatting with the Orang Asli there. They were quite contented to do all the talking and we were contented to just listen and give encouragement. The OA are really nice people. Simple, genuine, frenly.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Excellent weather, nice clear sunset

The food was excellent! The wild boar was delicious!!!! It was the first time I had eaten patin cooked in curry. The fish was sooooo fresh – prolly just caught from the river nearby. But I learnt a lesson – never sit next to the host! Before I finish my plate of rice, he took me plate and got his wife to pile it up wif rice!!!! Definitely overate!!!

We ate using our hands and there was a small pail of water for us to wash our hands in. being the last to finish, I had to wash me hands using the water that everyone else had used to wash their hands… ugh!

After dinner, we were treated wif mangosteens and rambutans – local fruits which were excellent!

We slept on the porch which was brilliant. The nite was cool. The air was fresh and there was no haze at all. It was lovely to bath in the freezing cold river water and see the clear nite skies with the moon and sparkling stars above. When we went to sleep, I could hear the familiar noises one hears in the jungle at nite – the crickets, the insects, etc. Nice!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Sunday School! Right after I took this pic, one of the boys said that it was lightning!!!! Until Wei Lyn pointed out that it was just the flash from me camera!!!

The next day, we did the children’s meeting and then me mate gave the sermon during the adults’ meeting. By the time we reached back, it was just in time for me to conduct me training. When I got home that nite, I was too tired to watch any of the Sunday matches oso!

No regrets, tho. It could be the last time I go to the OA village for a long long time as I’ll be leaving for me studies soon.

And we made a new fren too!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A blue-eye puppy!!! She din seem too bothered with the flashes from me camera!

In any event, I din miss much cuz Liverpool din win. :-(

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?