Tuesday, August 16, 2005

East Malaysian menu (final part!)

DAY #13 (30/7 Saturday)

Brunei – Kota Kinabalu


Back to KK! Walked around town – so many memories. The place was so familiar. Had a small “cultural shock”, tho. After 3 days in Muslim Brunei (where only me and other tourists wears shorts out into the blazing hot sun), there were so many girls in short skirts and spaghetti straps tops!!!! Have not seen so much flesh for a while!!!!!!

Met up wif me mates at KK for dinner! It was really nice. The food was great too! Seafood! Yummy! All I had to eat that day was a small piece of cake at the jetty. So I was pretty much starving and cleaned off everything on the table that nite! ;-P

DAY #14 (31/7 Sunday)

Kota Kinabalu


Went to me mate’s church for service. Had a great time of worship there. Before that, we had dim sum for breakfast!

After lunch, I just wandered around town. Decided to pamper meself and had a cup of ice-blended coffee while watching the sun set. It was nice. Then, the nite market started and it had a lovely atmosphere.

Had dinner wif me mates again at one of the best Chinese restaurants in town. After dinner, me mates took me to try mango and durian ice cream! Lovely!

However, me last nite in a backpackers’ lodge ended on a sour note – some of me room mates were wearing their sandals ALL AROUND THE PLACE including the toilets when it was clear that everyone was to remove their shoes and sandals. Later in the nite, some fellas came back, obviously drunk and made a lot of noise. O well…

DAY #15 (1/8 Monday)

Kota Kinabalu – Tambunan – Keningau – Tenom - KK


Road trip! Me mate took me on his Range Rover and off we went! We basically targeted for Tenom and just drove off (after he came from Court!). It was a lovely drive – the scenery was fantastic – the Crocker Range! After weeks of boring and flat Sarawak landscape (although Sarawak is a beautiful place), this was so refreshing. And his Rover had no problems going thru the rough and hilly terrain!

We stopped whenever we wanted to and just took in everything – the view, the sights, the small towns, the water buffaloes in the stream, etc. The weather was simply lovely. Bright sunny day but it felt cold cuz of the nice cool breeze.

But wat was really wonderful was the time we spent chatting. It was great. Me mate is a Catholic. While a lot of protestant Christians have their doubts about Catholics generally, me mate was not at all like wat they perceived. He studies the Bible, understands the “rituals”, believes that Jesus died for his sins and is filled with the Holy Spirit! He was obviously bursting to talk about his faith and was glad I was interested to listen.

This was a man who clearly loves the Lord!

He oso took time to explain and clarify certain Catholics practices and beliefs.

We decided – wisely – not to spend the nite at Tenom and head back to KK. He put me up at his place and I spent prolly the best nite of me trip there!

I had dinner wif him and his family, and then played wif his kids for a while – his eldest girl showed me all her drawings of her family and immediately started a new drawing to include me wif her family! We then played Uno where she won most of the games!!!

After a wonderful home cooked meal, we had a mini fruit fest – local oranges (or tangerines), lovely sweet mangosteen and rambutans, steamed sweet corn.

After the kids went to bed, I stayed up wif me mate and his wife and we basically chatted til around 2 am when they had to go to sleep as they had to wake up early to send the kids to school. But it was a wonderful time. As usual, we talked about the time we spent in the UK. In fact, me mate told me that after that, he just couldn’t sleep as he was reliving the good old times!

DAY #16 (2/8 Tuesday)

Kota Kinabalu – Home!


After breakfast, me mate dropped me off at the Sabah museum. It was pretty good, actually. I enjoyed the historical presentation there. Sabah indeed had a very interesting history. The natural history exhibition was good too.

Wat was really good was the little heritage village just outside the museum – it boasts of live-sized replicas of houses and homes of the locals. Excellent!

After lunch, it was time was me last minute shopping, repacking my stuffs and then to the airport! Me bag was overweight 20 kgs and I had to do some creative repacking at the airport itself to avoid paying for it!!!!

Before I knew it, I was back in KLIA … and was welcomed by the haze!

Check out the pics taken during my stay at Sabah here, here and here!

Comments:
hey, thanks for the compliment! altho i wonder wat about me blog that makes u think it is creative and nice!!!!

my pics? there are a few scattered in me other blog - http://viewshc.blogspot.com/

not that many tho. i like to be the cameraman, not the model!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?