Thursday, September 01, 2005

Home cooked meal

I have a confession to make. Today (I’m typing this at 11:59 pm), my country celebrates her 48th year of independence. It doesn’t stir up much emotion in me.

I’m not a very patriotic guy. Truth be told, I dun like my country very much! I grew up seeing certain race gets better and preferential treatment, I see corruption and cronyism, I have no faith in our police force who only seem to be interested in intimidating the public and getting bribes (at least those that I have encountered – I must say that one rotten apple does not make the whole basket bad), I see my fellow Malaysians with no civic-consciousness, I do not think it is safe for anyone to be out alone at night (except perhaps in Sarawak), I see rubbish everywhere, the public toilets are a nightmare, commuters pushing and shoving their way into trains, rude drivers on the road, justice being bought in the Courts of Law, people persecuted because of their religious beliefs …

I can go on and on wif the list.

Still, no matter wat happens, I am still a Malaysian. God made me one for a purpose. And I’m thankful for this country, for the wonderful frens that I have, for the delicious food all around, for the beautiful nature, for the peace and stability we enjoy (as compared wif some other worse-off countries. Of course things could be better. Things always can be better…).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Pic obtained in true M'sian style - without permission and not bothering about it!

This is Malaysia. And for now, this is my home. And home is where the heart is, isn't it?

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
Romans 13v1

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone — for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior...
1 Timothy 2v1-3

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?