Friday, June 24, 2005

Gluttony (Episode 2)

No, no, no more gluttony. Just a continuation from me previous post entitled Gluttony.

I’ll continue wif “Batman Begins”.



Lemme say that I’m not big fan of Batman (unlike a certain corn-eating mate). It din help that I never really liked the previous Batman movies. In fact, the only one I enjoyed was panned by the critics as the worst Batman ever – Batman & Robin (hey, I’m a BIG fan of George Clooney, Arnie and Alicia Silverstone).

I used to watch the entertaining old Batman series on TV – yeah, the 60s version in black and white, starring Adam West. I like the *bam* and *pow* words which appear when Batman punches sumone. Very comic book-ish! But Adam West’s spare tire was amusing too… Robin was at his irritating best!

I mean, wat is there to like about Batman? How is he a “superhero” when he does not have super powers???? He does not have any “bat” powers too – like being able to fly like one or have sonar so that he can “see” in the dark!

And in the trailer, there was Liam Neeson doing a “Qui Gon Jin” performance in training Bruce Wayne.

But watched it I did, and a Batman fan I am now!

Excellent production, good performances all over – from the excellent and unrecognisable Gary Oldman to the brilliant Cillian Murphy, and the usually dependable and utterly British Michael Caine! Christian Bale was good! Believable as the tortured hero. Small roles by Linus Roache (as Bruce’s father) and Tom Wilkinson (as the gangster, Falcone) helped too. Katie Holmes was surprisingly good too!! (she's got nice eyes *swoons*). Morgan Freeman and Ken Watanabe were wasted tho.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


At least for once, we (the non-fans and the uninitiated) get to understand and appreciate why Bruce became who he did. We feel for him. I feel for him.

And being “Batman Begins”, we see a pretty vulnerable hero – as one critic said, Batman wouldn’t have made it had it not for other individuals in the movie. True. That makes Batman immediately identifiable. We emphatise wif him.

And oh – the Batmobile! WHOOOAAAA!!!!! I WANT, I WANT, I WANT!!!!



Upon much thinking, I still preferred Spiderman 2. I mean Bruce is a millionaire, he gets the models and spends money like crazy. The “good” life. He fights crime because it satisfies himself.

Peter Parker fights crime because “wif great power comes great responsibility”. Peter Parker has to struggle wif his rent. Spiderman is mostly alone all the time. Peter made the conscious decision to keep his identity a secret from Mary Jane – because he loved her (she found out, of course, but by accident). A true hero.

Bruce just simply told Rachel his true identity – no in so many words but isn’t it obvious??? Unless Rachel was an absolute fool, she would have guessed it.

In fact, I felt that Bruce’s father was more of a hero! And wat would Bruce be without the excellent Alfred? But let me not take away anything from Christian Bale’s Bruce Wayne. A man who chooses to take on the impossible, to stand up for wat is right, to protect the weak and poor.

On hindsight, the plot about the “machine” used to vaporise the water is pretty unbelievable and too convenient.

Still, an excellent movie, a movie which did not depend on special effects but on the storyline and on its actors. It has got “heart”! Watch it! Be entertained. Be touched. Be inspired.

Quotes:-

When Bruce says (2 times) to Alfred, “You still haven’t given up on me?”, Alfred replies wif an emphatic “Never!

Bruce’s dad: “Why do we fall? So that we might better learn to pick ourselves up

Gordon to Batman: “But you are only one!
Batman: “Now we are two!


Pics obtained from Yahoo. Collage created using Picasa. Pics posted via Photobucket

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?