Saturday, September 17, 2005

Harm choy* soup


*a type of salted preserved vegetable


Here’s an excerpt of an e-mail I sent to out to some of me mates at 3:13 am yesterday morning:-

i'm suddenly freaking out that i won't get my flight ticket. can't sleep so got up and tried to do the discussion just now. o well... pls pray that i'll get a good priced ticket. i HAVE to get one which departs sat nite so i'll be there on sun morn cuz my uni only having bus pick-ups on sun morn!

It din help that quite a number of me mates were freaking out when they heard I have procrastinated buying my flight ticket!!!

I finally got sleep shortly after that mail (and some desperate prayers).

Well, to cut the long story short, I manage to get me flight ticket oredi. Thank God for it. No problems.

Flight no. MH 2
Departure: Kuala Lumpur 2340 hours, 1st October, 2005
Arrival: London 0550 hours, 2nd October, 2005

To put the icing on the cake, after I got me ticket, I was wondering around town and came across this chicken rice stall which was in an alleyway! The wonderful aroma of the rice and roast chicken caught my attention and I had me lunch there. The bonus of it ws that they served “harm choy” soup there! Authentic style – wif some roast pork, chicken bones, toufu, tomato and of course, harm choy!

I never thought I’d get to drink it before I go. I actually thought about it but decided against asking me parents to make it. It’s our “standard issue” soup that we drink during EVERY Chinese New Year celebrations. For you non-Chinese, the Chinese New Year celebrations is preceded by a reunion dinner. It is always a wonderful time when family members from all over will return to their homes and have a hearty meal together. The only time I have missed it was in 1994 when I was in London. The 2nd time I’ll miss it will be next year. :-(

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?