Thursday, September 15, 2005

Chicken


Fried chicken from the "Maybank mamak" at Paramount Garden.
I'm gonna miss it - but I'll miss hanging out wif me mates there more!
Posted by Picasa

12 years ago today, I woke up for the first time in Room 121, Marley Hall at the University of East London. It was a great feeling. A cool autumn morning. The excitement level was high. There I was, on the brink of a whole new experience in a whole new world. The best thing about it? Me mates were in the rooms right next to mine! Soon, we would be having breakfast together and then going out for shopping. We’ll be going to the City of London too!

The first 2 weeks turned out to be a vacation for us.

Here I am now, wif less than 2 and a half weeks before waking up in a cool autumn morning in a land far away. And I’m dreading it. I’m scared.

*Check out the list of things I’m scared of here.*

The main difference between then and now is that now, I’ll be alone.

Just the other nite, I was out wif a couple of mates – 2 girls – and they were talking about…. ARM PIT HAIR!!!! Yeah, they were exchanging tips on how they get rid of arm pit hair. It was too much information for me that I did not need to know and would still spend the rest of my life meaningfully without knowing it!

But that’s the beauty of my frenship wif them – and for my frenship wif quite a number of others. We have come to a point where we are just so comfortable wif each other. We know each other so well (too well, actually) and we have learnt to love each other in spite of our weird and irritating habits.

Then, I was reading some old letters I sent out to Shona when I got back home from London 11 years ago. I wasn’t happy back then cuz I missed London but more so, I felt so out of place when I got back. I could sense the distance between me and my mates back then. We had moved on, but for me, I had moved on in a different direction.

As most of you know, I was supposed to leave to do my studies last year. But I didn’t. Now one year passed and so many things have changed.

In this past year or so, I’ve drawn so much closer to so many people – sumthing which I know would not have happened if I was still a high flying partner in a law firm. I’ve drawn closer to my family members, I’ve drawn closer to my mates. And just like someone who discovered a treasure only to discover that he can’t take it away wif him, I fear if I leave now, I would lose it all. Would things ever be the same again wif me mates? Would things be the same again wif me family?

When I look back to the past year, it was like God wanted me to learn (and unlearn) so many things and the only way to achieve that was to go thru a year like wat I went thru. Perhaps one of the more important (if not the most) thing I have learnt is the value of my frens and my family.

So fine. I have learnt it Lord. Now do I really have to leave???

It’s so funny – last year, I couldn’t wait to leave the country. One year later, things have changed so much. Just imagine how much more it would change in the year ahead.

I used to be a person who thrive on changes.

Used to” is the key phrase!

Comments:
That chicken meal is making me wish I were home. It looks absolutely delicious! Dorm food is so bad.

So you've been introduced to one of women's arch enemies...arm pit hair. :) Haha...

Oh gosh, you're really lucky. I've never felt that attached to any of my friends enough to have misgivings about leaving them.

God does seem to have rather twisted plans for us sometimes. But I guess that's just really our own twisted perspective. But I trust He knows the best and He's not withholding the best from you. :)

Grace to you.
 
you wuss, just go already!
 
krissy: yeah, i can now talk about the negative points of shaving, why plucking is better but u can end up wif a neck strain, and that perhaps, the best way is to use Veets!!!!

anyway, thanks for the wonderful reminder. yeah, God only has the best for his children - altho his kids are brats sometimes! cheers!

a.orange: ok, ok! i'm leaving soon! lemme wuss for a while longer! :-P can't help it if i'm gonna miss u and the rest!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?