Friday, June 10, 2005

Perak Food Fest!

Note: “Perak” is one of the northern states of West Malaysia

I was away for a couple of days. Me dad went up to Ipoh, the capital city of Perak, on Monday to hang out wif some of his old mates. Since I found out on Monday that I din have to work this week, I decided to go up and drive me dad back home. At the same time, I drive me mom up too to spend a nite at Ipoh.

It turned out to be an eating trip!

We left on Wednesday morn – as me mom wanted to leave early, I left without any breakfast. I din even have a cup of coffee as me throat din feel too good.

By the time we reached Ipoh, I was starving. It was noon time. Me dad’s mate, Mr. Lee and his brother told us that they are gonna take us to Lumut for a seafood lunch! When I heard that, it filled me wif mixed emotions. Seafood! Yum! But Lumut? That’s a coastal town which’ll take another hour and a half to reach there!

But since our hosts were so kind, we took up the offer, assuring them that I can have a late lunch! :-(

Mr. Lee’s brother drove and off we went.

We stopped first at this little town in the outskirts where we were treated to Fook Chow Biscuits to silence the growling stomachs! It was still a long drive to Lumut!

But arrived we did, and feast we also did! The first dish was fried fish. I dun know wat it is called – it’s a small tiny long fish which had been deep-fried and we could eat everything up save for the bone in the middle! Then came the excellent oysters, followed by the equally yummy deep fried squid! Finally, came the main dish – sweet and sour crabs! Slurp! Just in case the seafood was not enuf, we had a plate of fried rice and fried meehoon!

The fish was great – fresh and crunchy. The oysters were done in the local way – fried wif egg. The squid was lovely. Even the fried rice was tasteful! But the crabs take the top marks!!! Fresh, meaty, cooked well and the sweet and sour sauce was brilliant!

Being wif 4 senior citizens, I had to finish up everything as they could only eat so much. Of course, I din wanna seem rude to me hosts and not eat the lovely food! ;-P


The seafood place - from l-r Mr. Lee, Mr. Lai, Mrs. Lai, Mr. Lee! Posted by Hello

By the time we finished, it was around 3:40 in the evening. We were driven to the Lumut seaside where we walked around and had ABC Special (shaved ice in syrup, served wif beans, nuts, corn, nutmeg and ice cream!).


View of the Straits of Malacca at Lumut Posted by Hello

Back to Ipoh. Before we knew it, we were going out for dinner again! This time was hawker fare. I had the excellent curry noodles. It was served wif mint leaves which leave a really nice taste to the curry. We oso had lobak (deep-fried small pieces of meat and seafood).

After dinner, we went for a walk at the nearby nite market – where we were tempted but successfully resisted a lot of food sold there.

Back home, our host opened a couple of durians (a local thorny fruit – smells horrible but tastes lovely!) for supper! He bought so many that we brought it back home – and my car now stinks of the smell!

Next morning, I was awaken to get ready for breakfast! This time round, we went to this place called “Foh San”. This used to be the place for dim sum. Even to today, old foggies still come at 5 am to have their breakfast there.

When we reached there, it was packed – on a Thursday morning! With senior citizens! Our dim sum intake was controlled this time round. To me, it wasn’t that great. I think it is over-rated. But I think it is still famous for sentimental reasons. The seniors will still go there even with the rise of newer and tastier dim sum joints in town.

After breakfast, we were taken to have the famous Ipoh white coffee! It was simply brilliant – especially since I went thru the whole of the previous day WITHOUT ANY COFFEE!!!!


Ipoh white coffee Posted by Hello

After that, I was “seduced by the duck side”!!!! We were taken to a duck farm where I spent the entire time there just snapping pics of the cute and adorable ducks! See the pics at me other blogspot here.

Before I knew it, it was time for lunch – another heavy lunch at Sungai Siput. Curry fish head, Hakka Yam and Pork, special beancurd, vege and a plate of assorted roast meat!

Needless to say, I must have gained some extra kilos after the trip.

It was indeed a nice trip. Our host, Mr. Lee and his brother were excellent. Mr. Lee to me is the perfect gentleman and great in hospitality. His brother is great at entertaining guests! They really went all out to feed us and make us have a great time!

Initially, I thought it to be weird to hang out wif a bunch of senior citizens but I had a great time wif them. It was just a bunch of retired folk (yes, I consider meself semi-retired oredi!!!) having a good time.

I oso had a good time driving up alone wif me mom. Yeah, mother-son bonding!

Ipoh indeed is a nice place. I love it. It has this Chinese feel to it. Food is good an cheap. Life moves at a much slower (and nicer) pace. Oh, there are a lot of pretty girls around too! Yeah, Ipoh is famous oso for that! ;-)

Comments:
Hey, congrats on the caffiene free day! Here I am savoring every possible moment of electricity. The Philippines in political turmoil again so and power plants are threatening black outs as their form of protests.

I like your cafe...any chance of real coffee? :) I'm stuck in the dorm after having promised my mom that I won't leave the campus to join rallies or hang out in malls.

Grace to you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?