Monday, June 06, 2005

Chicken stew

Note: This was done on me laptop on Friday nite during camp

The chicken stew we had tonite was really tasty. I went for a second round and me "non-kiasu mate" oso had seconds!


But wat made the meal really memorable was the conversation that took place after all the chicken and rice had been devoured.

I was listening to a conversation just now between 2 brothers – one lost his twin sons, another lost his older sister. I guess I can never fully know wat they are going thru. Sure, I have lost close frens before but not a close family member.

What made their situations even worse (as if it can get any worse than it oredi is) was that when those tragedies happen, it happened while they were in a foreign land – and they were in the foreign land in obedience to His calling! One was when was he doing theological studies, another was when his parents were missionaries.

And yet, instead of “blessing them wif “good things”, they suffer grief all alone without close family and frens.

People – some having good intentions but IMHO, not having a good head on their shoulders – have tried to “comfort” these brothers by speculating on the reasons why those things took place.

Perhaps God was preparing them for sumthing bigger, perhaps God wanted them to be able to minister to those who have lost close loved ones, perhaps it was some sin…?

However, one of the 2 brothers had learned to cope wif it and gave the following illustration:-

“One day, I am walking around in town when I looked into a restaurant and saw my wife sitting in a booth with another man. Now I dun know why she was there wif him.

I can speculate the reasons and the motives – but it is pointless to do so. In any event, I know that when I get home later, I will get an answer – a satisfactory one.

As for the time being, while I may not know why she is there wif the man, I can know the following thing – that my wife is not cheating on me. I trust my wife. I know my wife loves me dearly and it is not possible that she would do anything to hurt me or harm me. She will have a perfectly good reason for doing wat she is doing and not letting me know about it.

I dun know the reason but I will know it when I get home.”

I thought it’s an excellent illustration. There are many things which can and may happen to us today – things which to us seem bad. And we may even wonder why God allowed it to happen.

Well, there are times when we will not know the reason why God allowed it to happen. But we know it is pointless to speculate! We can however be rest assured that God loves us and would not do anything to harm us. He works for the good of those who love him.

And we know that when we do go home to be wif him foreva, we will know the answer then. Until then, we just trust in him.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8 v28

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?